February 21, 2011

Grilling out!

Since we are vegetarians, grilling out is a bit different for us. We have to be a little creative, and we usually make a couple meals on the day we decide to grill for other days of the week.

Salm made potato packets. These consist of potatoes, sliced onions, and minced garlic. You split them up into portions, and fold them into foil packets! If you have ever seen a Reynold's Wrap commercial, then you know how to fold a packet. I'm pretty sure you could even find it on their website. TA DA! I found it. So there you go. (btw....Reynold's Wrap does not know I exist...I used the off brand foil...)

But BEFORE the potato packets happened, I marinaded the portobello caps. In a baking dish I whisked together, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 TB soy sauce, a bunch of chopped parsley, and dried rosemary. I added a bit of water at the end so that it would cover the caps. I also added a bit of red wine vinegar because I ran out of balsamic... You can marinade them for however long you would like, just realize that the longer you marinade the stronger the flavor will be. Because of the hiking adventure we  went on, these babies marinaded for a LONG time. Like two days. That might be a little long... But whatever you do, be sure you flip them over half way through.

So Salm put the potato packets on the grill and then put his red pepper on there as well to let it blacken and get smokey and wonderful.
While we were waiting we decided to put the two acorn squash we've had for about a month on the grill too. I halved them and Salm took the seeds so we could plant them later. :) Then I put a pad of butter in the middle of each. Butter is so good with squash. Then on 2 of them I put brown sugar and then on the other two I put salt and pepper. I wrapped them up with foil as well and put them on the grill.

For the portobellos, I grilled them on foil instead of right on the grill rack. In my experience, portobello caps ALWAYS stick... So I just use foil. They only take like 5 minutes on each side.

We put the caps on sandwiches with some provolone and mayo. They were good. Everything was good. While we were eating I let the acorn squash finish. They were on there for about 45 minutes to an hour. You know they are done when you squeeze them and they squish. :)

Sorry there are no pictures. I forgot. I'm bad at taking pictures.

Off to study for a developmental exam!!

No comments:

Post a Comment